Like Urban Research on Facebook

Monday, January 24, 2011

Is your city ready for the future?


Is your city looking a bit rough around the edges? Do you wonder what it will be like in 20 years time? Does it even feel like your city?
After moving to London 17 years ago it took me a while to feel like this was home and that I had a right to complain or think that things could be done better – possibly because I lived in a new borough every year. I suppose only now that one of my kids attends a school and we have been in the London Borough of Sutton for 7 years that I truly feel like I have a stake in this city.  I’m really starting to think about the decisions that are being made around planning and developing of local provisions such as getting my kids into a good school, the availability healthcare (the hospital both my kids were born at has been under threat of closer) and if we have an ample local supply of power and water and are we protected against floods? Not to mention how will we all get around the cities we live in.

photo by Tim N@ylor
more readings about London:

Cycle Superhighways Open in London

London Invests on Energy Saving Technologies

Toward Low Carbon Cities: Madrid and London

No comments:

Post a Comment